Using Rose’s RSS Feed To Keep Tabs On What She’s Doing
Some of you may have never heard the term “RSS” in your life. Don’t worry if you haven’t, it is SO easy and is a great alternative to relying just on email to keep in contact with me. (Email is getting more and more unreliable as SPAM becomes more prevalent)
RSS stands for “Real Simple Syndication”. And RSS “feed” is just a website address that is in a very special format.
For example, my RSS “feed” website address is http://www.rose-ariadne.com/feed/ . If you click on that link, you will actually be able to “see” my RSS feed… but it won’t make much sense to you.
In order for it to make sense, what you need is an RSS feed READER. It’s just a little piece of software that installs onto your computer. (don’t worry, the FREE one I am going to give you is completely SAFE to install)
So, this RSS reader installs onto your computer, and you simply “copy” and “paste” my RSS feed website address “http://www.rose-ariadne.com/feed/” into your RSS reader software (that I will show you how to install in a second).
Then, all you need to do is double click on this software every time you want to see if there is something new that Rose posted, and any new blog posts will “Magickally” show up in your RSS feed reader…
You will see the date of any of Roses posts, and a quick summary of what she says in the post. All you need to do is simply click on one of these summaries, and you will instantly be taken to Roses blog – specifically to the blog entry corresponding to the summary you just clicked on!
Pretty neat huh? And the really cool part is that you can find other website’s RSS feeds (by looking for that little orange RSS logo, like the one in the upper right corner of this page), and “copy” and “paste” the website link of that RSS feed into your RSS feed reader software, and you can get instant updates of those sites as well!
But, let’s not get ahead of ourselves. Let’s start with first installing the tiny little RSS Feed Reader onto your computer (it’s so easy, you won’t believe it)… and then, I’ll show you exactly how to “copy” and “paste” Rose’s RSS feed website link into it so you can instantly be notified of everything new she creates…
The 2 Minute RSS Feed Reader Software Installation Steps
1. Open another Internet Browser session (so you can still read these instructions while you go through the steps)…
2. Go to this website link : http://www.rssreader.com/download/rssreader.exe . You should get a windows popup asking if you want to “Run” or “Save”. Click save, and then point it to your desktop. It is such a small file that even dial up users should be able to download it in seconds.
4. Next, minimize your windows and have a look at your desktop. Double click the file called “rssreader.exe” on your desktop. Follow the prompts to install the software…this is very simple and easy.
5. Once the installation is done, after just a few seconds, there will be a new icon on your desktop. It’s a blue image titled “RssReader”. Double click on it to start the RSS Feed Reader.
6. So far so good! Now, at the top of the window of the RSS Reader, find the little button that says “Add” (you will see a green plus sign right below it). Click this button..
7. You are almost done! Now this little window has opened up asking you to “Enter the URL of the feed”. In the box, just copy and paste this : http://www.rose-ariadne.com/feed/
8. Now just click the “Next” button on that window…
9. After you do that, the text in the text box will “Magickally” change to “Rose Ariadne’s Witchcraft Blog”. Just click the “Next” button again!
10. Yet another little window pops up…it is just going to store Rose’s Feed in your “MyFeeds” folder (if you don’t have a myfeeds folder, it will be automatically created, don’t worry. Just click the “OK” button here.
11. Your are done! Good job, see how easy that was? And if you look in the main box in the RSS Feed Reader software, you will already see Rose’s latest “headlines” for her blog posts! After you read the summary in the window, you can click on “Read More” or “Open In Browser” to go right to her blog and read the full story!
This is a GREAT way to stay in touch with Rose, and not miss anything she has to say…just double click on the RSS Feed Reader ICON on your desktop once a day to quickly see if Rose has anything new to say…
Ash Rowan (Rose Ariadne’s computer whiz)